With cold and flu season already upon us (at least it is for our office) many suffering workers will be forced to make a decision… go to work sick, or stay at home?
So why do so many force themselves to the office? The most common reasons are as follows…
- To prove something to themselves, colleagues or their boss
- High job demands / deadlines
- Too much work to make up upon return
- Job insecurity
- Unpaid sick leave
- Expectation from management to show up (no matter what)
Whilst there are definitely bosses out there who believe you must work through an illness, remember that you have the right as an employee to set your own limitations and only you know what you’re capable of. If you really are unwell, then try not to be pressured to take your illness to the office and spread your germs around.
But, if you absolutely must go into work when you’re sick, we’ve got some advice for you…
- Fully cover your mouth (with a hand or tissue) when coughing or sneezing
- Wash your hands often, including every time you do cough or sneeze
- Regularly disinfect what you touch – phone, keyboard, mouse, desk, etc.
- Try to keep your distance from colleagues
Get the cough drops and anti-bacterial hand gel at the ready!